[Dixielandjazz] Jazz At The Central Plaza

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Jun 19 10:07:07 PDT 2012

Steve Barbone (I think it was) posted the link to a great video from 1954 on DJML. It is the Jimmy McPartland band with such greats as Pops Foster, Willie The Lion Smith, George Wetlin and Pee Wee Russell.

One of the camera men on the shoot was the legendary Ricky Leacock.

My daughter is friends with Ricky’s daughter. I spent some time with Ricky before he passed away a couple years ago. He had an amazing carreer. I’m sure if yu look him up on via google you’ll be able to check out what he accomplished.

I sent the clip to Ricky’s daughter. Below is her reply.

For those of you who missed the video, I’ll post the URL at the end.

--Bob Ringwald

*******

Hi Bob -
Great to hear from you! And, yes - this is a film called Jazz Dance - one of my favorites.
A friend of dad's - Roger Tilson, asked him to film it for him. The beer literally
jumps off the table, the girls skirts twirl, lots of long legs dancing wildly, and
a Congo line that seems to stretch for a mile. Dad shot all of the material from
the dance floor with 30 second wind up camera shots - a camera used in the war.Dad
said he fell in love every five minutes that night. Interracial dancing too.
It was just screened in India at a tribute to my dad last week and was the favorite.

Love,
Victoria

*******

Hey guys,
This is a wonderful piece of history from 1954. You wonder where our fans are? Well
here they are some 58 years ago. They are all 80 years old now.
As I have always said, I was born 50 years too late.
The Ricky Leacock listed as one of the two camera men on this shoot was the father
of a good friend of Molly’s. He was a legendary documentary film maker. I spent a
lot of time with him, listening to some great stories of all the things he had done
in his life. He just passed away a couple years ago.
As you will see, the music editing is not so great. But what a piece of history.
Read the details. They are very interesting. They are very interesting.
This is a wonderful piece of history from 1954.
Jazz At The Central Plaza, NYC 1954
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-DPiVVQJlY&feature=player_embedded
--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com