[Dixielandjazz] Steve DiBonnaventura + Young OKOM trombone in Philadelphia

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 12 08:07:31 PDT 2012

Dear Ginny:

Had the good fortune to work as a sideman on Sunday in a Dixieland Band  for banjo maven Steve DiBonnaventura. I mentioned the DJML to him and the fact that you and I are cyber buddies. After saying "Of course I know Ginny", he asked me to pass on his regards and hopes to see you in St Louis at the banjo gathering.

He had booked a banjo/tuba rhythm sectioned New Orleans genre jazz band for a WEDDING, so I was a bit nervous about the gig. It didn't help that the trombonist, previously unknown to me, was a very young man named Larry Toft. Hardly 20. I need not have worried because everyone loved the group.

Larry was EXCELLENT. Scary to see such a solid OKOM player at such a young age. Knew the tunes, or read them from treble clef lead sheets like he'd been playing them for years. On our first break I complemented him on his playing which was a mix of styles between early Miff Mole and  later Jack Teagarden. Turns out he was a huge Miff Mole fan. I asked him if he ever heard that 16 note Mole break at the intro of Dixieland One Step (instead of the usually up and down smear break that he and everyone else plays) He said no, so I passed it on. The break is at the very beginning of the clip.

http://www.juzp.net/_qM4_EeYj1UcS

Love that break, love Mole's solo. Also love Adrian Rollin's solo on the cut.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband