[Dixielandjazz] Class of '26: Soundtrack of the Jazz Age

Donald Mopsick dmopsick at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 10:11:13 PDT 2012

Citizens of the DJML:

This week's Riverwalk Jazz show is a fun one: we feature events,
recordings, etc. from the year 1926.

There was a lot going on that year.

The world's first national radio network, NBC, was born.

Bix was with Goldkette. An epic battle of the bands with the Fletcher
Henderson Orchestra took place that year at the Roseland Ballroom in
New York. Do you know who won?

Armstrong was back in Chicago making jazz history with his Hot 5
recordings. Jelly Roll Morton recorded Black Bottom Stomp and
Grandpa's Spells, Henderson recorded Stampede and Jackass Blues.

Paul Whiteman ruled the airwaves as the "King of Jazz," but Whiteman
himself was acutely aware that he was nothing of the sort and began
searching for true jazz players to add to his giant orchestra. A few
years later he would hire Bix, Tram, and other hot players.

Rudolph Valentino, after his movie sequel "The Son of the Sheik" was
released, died that year, sparking mass hysteria.

George Gershwin, in addition to mounting  a hit Broadway show "Oh,
Kay!" featuring "Someone to Watch Over Me "composed his series of
Piano Preludes, played on our show by Dick Hyman and John Sheridan
with the band.

Stream the show now at http://riverwalkjazz.org. The guest list this
week includes

Vernel Bagneris