[Dixielandjazz] Clark Terry

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Jun 6 22:05:48 PDT 2012

>From Mike Vax.

I forwarded Steve’s note about Clark Terry to him and here is a reply.

--Bob Ringwald

Nice note

by Steve.  I have been talking to Clark and Gwen every other day.  He has good days

and bad, but he is off the pain medication and as he has always said, he is "Keepin'

On!"  Truly an amazing human being.  And Gwen is a true angel for all she has done

to make Clark as comfortable as he can be, as well as always being there for him!

Clark is actually 91.  Gwen and I have been talking about a 92nd birthday party already.

She and I threw his 90th birthday party and it was certainly a day to remember.

One great thing right up until this latest hospital stay, Clark was back to playing

his horn every day.  The physical therapist said it would be good for his lungs and

his hands and fingers, so he was being very dilegent about it.

I guess at this point we can all think good thoughts for him and as Steve said, thank

him for all he has done for so many of us.  He has certainly been my mentor for over

40 years.  He is one of the people who most encouraged me to go into clinic work

- and he was the best ever at that!!!!

If you would like to forward this to the other list, Bob, certainly go ahead and

do that.

Mike Vax

www.mikevax.net

>From the DJML.

Steve Voce

Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:37 AM

Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Clark Terry

Last night I was able to have a 20 minute chat with Clark Terry who, as

you will know, has had both his legs amputated.

What a fine example to us all he is! I have never seen such spirit and

determination to overcome adversity.

He sends his love to all his friends.

It is amazing that a 92 year old man is able to sustain the physical

pain that he is suffering with such fortitude.

As you can imagine he has generated enormous medical bills and a

particular expense, not covered by his insurance, is the

24 hour a day attention that he will require from professional carers.

I'm sure we'll all want to rally to a man who has given us such

immeasurable pleasure throughout his career and who,

through selfless devotion to teaching young people, has made jazz a

better place. Over the years Clark has quietly helped

anyone in trouble (I will never forget, for example,  the care and

devotion that Clark showed anonymously to Buck Clayton

during the last years of Buck's life).

People in the USA should look at Clark's web site (just type 'Clark

Terry' into Google) where you can find how to donate whilst taking

advantage of American tax laws.

People outside America can transfer contributions to

Clark Terry Special Account

Simmons First National Bank

501 South Main Street

Pine Bluff

AR 71601

U S A

Bank routing number is 08 2900432

Account number is 11-170-601

Phone number (001) 870-541-1000

Bank officer is Vice president Lulu Mitchell in case help is needed.

Any other officer can help in case Ms Mitchell is not available.

If anyone wishes to send a cheque (check!) direct to Clark via his wife

Gwen they can contact me for her address.

Steve Voce