[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento band volume

Donald Mopsick dmopsick at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 09:46:13 PDT 2012

Bob Ringwald wrote:

"Several years ago while Roger Krum was still the Exec Director of the
then Sacramento Dixieland Jubilee, I talked him into making one venue
where no mics were used. The bands would be completely acoustic. It
was a beautiful room with great acoustics. I thought that it would be
a pleasure to play in the room without amplification and listen to
other bands the same way. Would you believe that out of some 140
bands, I was the only band leader that signed up for this room? My
idea was abandoned."

The last 2 times that I played at Sacramento with the JCJB (an
acoustic band) we played in a very charming small outdoor patio venue
where the acoustic instruments stood a chance of being heard. That
possibility was completely destroyed by the presence of a very loud
rock-like band playing at a venue adjacent to ours. We could barely
hear ourselves, much less the audience hearing us. We could be heard
only in between their tunes.

By the way, I will once again be appearing with the Cullum band in
August at the Bix in Davenport. Last year I was there as a Statesman
of Jazz with Dick Hyman.

--
http://about.me/donmopsick