[Dixielandjazz] Today's Jazz - was - Tears

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 4 14:46:12 PDT 2012

On 04/06/2012 15:35, Stephen G Barbone wrote:

> I respect your ears, and my ears while celebrating the difference. With me, it is just the opposite. In fact, heretical though it may be, I hear many of the Oliver recordings after Louis left, as mediocre.
>
> e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyX1yTazvxM

I seldom listen to the later Oliver bands. The Dixie Syncopators are
worth hearing but the later Victors tend to be a bit turgid. There is a
misconception in my view about how the Oliver creole band sounded and
that is because of the recording restrictions. I think it would have
sounded rhythmically like this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK8YXrfLAO4&feature=related
his is the Dodds Blackbottom Stompers with Baby playing 2 beat bass
drum. However after Dodds left and a brass bass was brought in the sound
changed. And the loss of Louis and Johnny Dodds was another blow.

> The above Olga is nice, but hardly earth shattering. I would rather hear Vince Giordano doing it with Kellso on lead trumpet. Or, listen to the Bix project by Bob Wilber et al than the originals by Bix. Even Chauncey Morehouse who was in both bands, said he preferred the current one to the originals.
>
> Most early jazz bores the hell out of me after I've listened to the same song a few times. Except for Louis,  Bechet,  Pee Wee Russell and maybe a few others, from whom I still learn.
>
> E.G. I would rather repeatedly listen to guys like Randy Reinhart, Jon Erik Kellso, Evan Christopher, Kenny Davern.

Steve I find this hard to believe - but I have to believe that is how
you find it. All of those guys are / were fine players, but there is in
much of today's jazz, a sense of repertory - hardly surprising. I don't
have a problem with this. As you know, I had the pleasure of working
with Kenny, but I don't think you could class his music as original - he
had his own sound but he was a continuation of a tradition.

There is a lot of early jazz I can do without but I wouldn't want to be
without Keppard, the ODJB, Sam Morgan, Celestin , Jones - Collins to
name a few.

I assume as a thinking musician, you are still developing, so do you not
think that there is still much gold to be mined from these rich historic
veins? I suggest more than in latter sources - after all they are
derivitory, including Condon and co.

> Sometimes I think many fans wax eloquently  the "subtlety" and "feel" of early jazz players while ignoring the same attributes in current players.
>
> For my ears, todays top jazz musicians are far superior to yesterday's. Perhaps because I grew up in NYC listening to Condon and the other GREAT Jazz Bands who kept OKOM popular. My ears heard much more energy in most Condon bands than on the records of the old masters.
>
> And musically in my ears, Dutrey, et al, couldn't hold a candle to Mole, Teagarden, Cutshall, McGarity, Janis, Lee Gifford. And likewise, these later guys get blown away by those alive today.

I think you are missing the point here Steve. Maybe you don't get New
Orleans Jazz. Where do you put the Ory Creole Jazz Band or Jelly's 1939
recordings?

Cheers,
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com