[Dixielandjazz] Tears

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Jun 3 01:23:52 PDT 2012

Alain de La Simone wrote

I'm sorry, I'm not impressed by this interpretation. The question is why
very able revivalists miss the essential stuff: poetry.
May be, because they are not coloured people of the twenties. ..
To day, many white musicians can do very hard work. I know very few able
to play with soul and flame.
I completely disagree.
Oliver and Louis have a marvellous  sound.
Every note is pure , every musical sentence is inventive, exciting,
spontaneous, full of poetry. I don't find any
of that in the heavy vibrato of the New Eagle trumpet player even if he
is a brilliant instrumentist.

You may not like Tony’s heavy vibrato, but that recording swings.
I would share your enthousiasm. I can't, in spite of the very ability of
every musician...
(I beg your pardon for my very bad english)
Friendly

Alain de La Simone

--Bob Ringwald