[Dixielandjazz] "Tears"

John Gill smokewagon at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 10:34:38 PDT 2012

Hey
Surprised that "Tears" would get a low grade on the list of Creole Jazz Band Recordings. I find it very melodic and memorable, the trombone line is great, and Louis plays beautifully, but to each his own. It is listed as an Armstrong, Hardin composition on the Library of Congress lead sheet by the way.
I've been listening to the Creole Jazz Band recordings since I "discovered" them in 1967 and have continued to be amazed by them ever since. For me it would be impossible to rank them by quality because the entire output is glorious, period.
For those of you who do like "Tears" , there is a wonderful recording of an elderly Louis Armstrong, in the 1960's I think, playing along with the 1923 Oliver recording in his dressing room. It is very moving to hear.
John Gill