[Dixielandjazz] "St James" take -3

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 29 17:26:29 PDT 2012

david richoux wrote:
> A very interesting version of St. James was done in the 1970s by the Saturday Night Live band with Lilly Tomlin singing!  A rarely heard introductory verse.

Dear Dave,
Fun stuff. I would love to see the video.
Not counting the King Oliver classic mentioned yesterday, a longtime favourite "St James Infirmary" for me is the Franz Jackson rendition recorded live at the Red Arrow, Chicago in 1961 during the band's decade-long run there (1957-67) and featuring vocal by Franz with Bob Shoffner's 'hip' comments.
An LP I bought when it was released in the 60s and long overdue for reissue on CD.
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hw-Joj9qtE
Franz Jackson (clarinet and vocal) Bob Shoffner, (trumpet and comments) John Thomas (trombone) Rozelle Claxton (piano) Lawrence Dixon (banjo) Bill Oldham (tuba) and  Richard Curry (drums).
Very kind regards,
Bill.