[Dixielandjazz] Joe Sullivan was Rachmaninov (was Rimsky Korsakoff)

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 26 12:37:39 PDT 2012

> Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote
>
> ROBERT R. CALDER wrote in part on a slow DJML day:
>> Rachmaninov does however have some jazz pedigree, with the parody in the RUSSIAN RAG of a Mr. Cobb, which was redone in a brilliantly funny solo piano recording by Joe Sullivan, who gave the item another name I can't for the moment remember.
>
> Dear Robert,
> Joe Sullivan's "Little Rock Getaway" is probably the tune you are thinking of.
> With a hint of the Rachmaninov and "Zonky' by Fats Waller and Andy Razaf.
> Also used by Sullivan as the basis for his "In A Minor Mood".
> Very kind regards,

> and Phil Wilking added "Take Your pick" to the sound alikes

My 2 cents after rehearsing with Tex Wyndham's local band for 20 years + or -, and playing much of his 1500 tune book is that great bunches of OKOM tunes, American Songbook etc., are sound alike melodies written on virtually the same chord changes. Who was it that said Irving Berlin wrote the same tune 1000 times? <grin>

And you can't miss those many identical bridges. We call them Sears/Roebuck bridges. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband