[Dixielandjazz] Rachmaninov (was Rimsky Korsakoff)

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 26 05:27:35 PDT 2012

MINOR MOOD was the Joe Sullivan item I had in mind

I played the recording to friends who were not much into jazz or Rachmaninov,
but they knew the notorious Prelude well enough to fall about laughing.

There are of course two LITTLE ROCK GETAWAYs

The second was also featured on one of the amazing Dill Jones recordings

(one of which I seem to remember Steve Voce extolling above all other Stride Piano LPs)

There is also I now recall a Rachmaninov item delivered in Errol Garner's rhapsodic mode.
On one of his undeservedly less celebrated solo LPs.

But of course much of the  Great American Songbook was the work of exiles

or children of exiles from the same country as Rachmaninov

good wishes

Robert