[Dixielandjazz] Trombonist

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 23 15:01:55 PDT 2012

 Stan Brager wrote:
> ...who played trombone on Spike Jones' recording of "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You"???

Dear Stan,
It was Joe Colvin.
"I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" was recorded in Chicago on 13 November 1947 and released on Victor 20-2949.
Vocal is by The Barefooted Pennsylvanians (Sir Frederick Gas, Dick Morgan and George Rock.)
Joe Colvin was from Oklahoma and joined the City Slickers in August 1947 and was the trombonist with group until December 1952 (and brief return in January 1954). He became a studio man for a while then retired from music to run a restaurant, and later a successful nursery business.
Before joining Spike in a reshuffle of the band to rid it of the 'heavy drinkers' he had played with Rudy Vallée, Jan Savitt's orch  and toured with Frank Sinatra on the WWII USO circuit.
Joe Colvin developed the pants-up-and-down routine in sync with his trombone slide in the Jones' band.
As usual, more than you needed to know.
8>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.