[Dixielandjazz] Atlanta

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Jul 17 11:13:41 PDT 2012

I just made a quick visit (2 days) to Atlanta (I attended a funeral of a
good friend), and met up with listmate Rocky Ball on my free day.  Rocky
took me to see another listmate that is no longer on DJML, trombonist Dave
Hanson.  Dave has been ill & his more or less homebound at the moment.
However, he seems to be recouping well & says he is working on getting his
chops back in shape.
I had a go at several of his huge collection of trombones.

It was great to meet both of these musicians, and DJML is to be thanked for
my even knowing of them!

Rocky (banjo), along with his friend L.A. Tuten (tuba) had a gig taping a tv
show with their band Ruby Red.  I was invited along to hear/see them.  As it
turns out there was a problem with the sound engineer, so I was drafted in
to actually work at the last minute!  Gave me a front row seat, anyway, at
the mixing board.  We later had a great meal (Rocky, his wife, and L.A.),
and gobs of conversation.

Marty Martin played trumpet & sang, and there was a wonderful valve
trombonist (name is lost to jet-lag...Rocky help me out!).  This quartet
worked together very nicely, and somehow created a driving, swinging beat
rather than the "chunkier" rhythm usually created by banjo & tuba. No
offence meant to other bands with that formation of rhythm.  This just
sounded different from other sections I have heard.

I want to publicly thank Rocky for being such a great host.

Jim, back safely home in Madrid