[Dixielandjazz] BILL HAESLER'S THE WINNER

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Mon Jul 16 15:10:05 PDT 2012

If you've been wondering, here's the whole thread.  Our congratulations to Bill Haesler.  Read on for engrossing enjoyment from top down:

Robert Newman wrote:
> In September, 1944, I was in a boat with Mr. Irving Henry Prestopnik.  He was also known as Irving Fazola.  He was very portly but the boat did not sink or even list a wee bit.   Can you guess what the situation was?

Then Bill Haesler wrote:

Dear Bob,
Could it have been on a Streckfus riverboat ('Capitol' or 'President') out of New Orleans when Irving Fazola was with the Tony Almerico band?
Very kind regards,

Now I'm answering:

You're right, Bill, it was the PRESIDENT, a riverboat at New Orleans.  Here's how it happened.  I was in the Navy.  Our ship, the LST 587 was built and launched in Evansville, IN in August, 1944.  In early September we, 10 officers and 100 crew, boarded her and took her down the Mississippi under the command of a river pilot.  Docked in New Orleans we were outfitted with 40mm and 20mm guns (I was the gunnery officer), radar and other equipment and provisions.  It took plenty of time for us to have several liberties in NO.

On my first liberty I went aboard the President because I had never seen a riverboat and knew good jazz should be there.   IT WAS --  In the evening  I walked aboard and saw a beautiful old-fashioned dance ballroom and a dixieland band was playing.  They were on a low riser with the front line sitting down and you could walk right up to them.   There were lots of people in there, dancing and having fun but not paying any obvious attention to the band.  Fazola was sitting in the middle of the front line of three and blowing that beautiful clarinet.  I recognized him instantly and for at least a couple of numbers stood right there staring at him appreciatedly.

I don't remember how long the river cruise was, but I would say about 2 hours.  I just spent most of my time watching the band.   Faz never stood up for his many solos.   There was no amplification and it certainly wasn't necessary.  It was not a show at all.   They were treated by the happy crowd as just a dance band, but  they obviously were familiar with the band.

For me it was an enjoyable event.  Faz's playing was just as I had heard with Crosby -- his solos and ensemble work were perfect.   But he acted totally disinterested.  I didn't talk to him.  I don't think he would have been interested.

Bob