[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong birthday broadcast

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jul 15 01:30:26 PDT 2012

Hello Rae Ann

Sorry, but I can't find  the social security application on the internet
or the Mississippi Rag reference. Do you have specific web addresses? Or
a copy of the photo of the application?

To date the only document that I have known of, giving a birth date and
signed by Armstrong, is the September 1918 WW1 Draft Registration Card -
see:

http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/draftcards2.html#musdc

This shows the 4th July 1900 date and Armstrong's age as 18. Would
Armstrong have intentionally given his age as 18 knowing that, as a 17
year old, he was not required to register? Did he actually want to join
the army?

All the best,
Anton