[Dixielandjazz] More on hacking, spoofing, spam, etc.

John McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 13 13:02:25 PDT 2012

From Apple Mail's help desk:

Returning unwanted messages
To discourage someone from sending you messages, you can reject or “bounce” messages from that person, as long as the return address is valid. Bouncing messages can be useful for rejecting mass mailings from companies whose mailing lists you’ve been added to after buying products.

To bounce unwanted messages:

Select one or more unwanted messages.

Choose Message > Bounce.

The senders receive a reply indicating that your email address is not valid and that the messages could not be delivered. The messages are moved to your Trash folder.

Many unsolicited (“spam”) messages do not have valid return addresses, and can’t be bounced back to the original sender. If you try to bounce a message that has an invalid return address, it’s returned to you as undeliverable.

You can create a rule that automatically deletes messages from a specific sender. Or, use the junk mail filter to remove messages that are likely to be junk mail.

Cheers,
John