[Dixielandjazz] new tunes

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Jul 7 00:19:16 PDT 2012

Jim Kashishian asks:

Hey, Bob (Ringwald), did you ever get around to playing "Are You Lonesome
Tonight"? We added it to our list a couple of months ago, and it is a real
hit! We do it as a light swing...not copying Elvis at all. People still
recognize it, and it brings a lot of smiles. It was written in 1927, long
before Elvis' time! The chords are the same as "When You're Smiling", by
the way!
(snip)

Never got around to doing it with the band, although it would be good in 4/4 time. Maybe we’ll give it a try.

I am doing “Crazy” and “Night Life” with my band. Both written by Willie Nelson.

I’ve been doing “Crazy” with Bob Schulz’s Frisco Band also. It really goes over well with the audience.

I have always done “Are You Lonesome Tonight” when playing solo piano or with my trio. It is a beautiful song. I do it in ¾ time with just a hint of swing with the trio.

The next gig, if I can remember, I’ll do it in 4/4.

--Bob Ringwald