[Dixielandjazz] Two Jazz Legends Offer Quotes for "Franz Jackson: Milestone"!

mjewell at franzjackson.com mjewell at franzjackson.com
Sun Jul 1 07:51:03 PDT 2012

Now THIS is exciting!

Yesterday, I received word that two of the biggest names in jazz, both of whom knew my father, would provide quotes about him for use on the upcoming "Franz Jackson: Milestone" CD!

Statements from the great Ramsey Lewis and the iconic Marian McPartland will be featured prominently on the CD cover! Both of these musicians have achieved the kind of legendary status in the music world that can only come from decades of performance, instruction and admiration from jazz lovers.

Arguably the most prolific female jazz pianist of the 20th century, Marian McPartland is a Grammy Award winner, the recipient of a Trustees' Lifetime Achievement Award and was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire by her native England. Ms. McPartland was the host of NPR's Piano Jazz program for 30 years and still continues to serve as the show's artistic director at the ripe old age of 95! Franz worked with Marian and her husband, the late cornetist Jimmy McPartland, on several occasions in Chicago.

The amazing Ramsey Lewis has also been on the jazz scene for decades and continues to perform with his Ramsey Lewis Trio in Chicago, nationally and abroad. Mr. Lewis is a 7-time Grammy winner and has been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. He's also received the NAACP Image Award and played for President Clinton at the White House. I was honored to receive the Chicago History Maker Award from Mr. Lewis on behalf of my father just nine days after he passed away in May, 2008. Himself a recipient of the prestigious award from the Chicago History Museum, Mr. Lewis' presenter's speech about my dad and his career was outstanding. Here's the link to the speech:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUwxqlivQoQ&feature=g-upl .  As bittersweet as that moment was for me so soon after his death, it was truly an experience I will treasure forever.

Having quotes from these two iconic jazz musicians to include on the CD is a dream come true for me. It helps me reinforce the importance of my father's legacy to Chicago jazz history and serves as an important endorsement of my effort to make sure that his final recording takes its place in the body of work that he has contributed to the genre.

If you haven't joined the project as a backer, your time to do so is short!  We only have 9 days left to finish our fundraising!  Please follow this link:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1749558063/franz-jackson-milestone-a-historic-cd-project  or go to www.kickstarter.com and search "Franz Jackson" to find the project's page and make a pledge!

Michelle Jewell

--

Michelle Jewell
mjewell at franzjackson.com
(269) 684-6386
www.franzjackson.com

"Like" Franz's page on Facebook!    www.facebook.com/franzjacksonjazz

We do not share your personal information with any third-parties.  If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please reply to this message indicating your desire to be removed.

--

Michelle Jewell
mjewell at franzjackson.com
(269) 684-6386