[Dixielandjazz] "Stealin' Apples"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 31 14:55:56 PST 2012

Riebeling wrote:
> Hello, musicians, can anybody help me and give the melody line of the Verse
> of Stealing Apples? Or a link to sheet music of this number?

Dear DJMLers,
As Volker knows, this subject was raised on the DJML back in July 2007 by Nancy Giffin and answered in part by me with help from Adrian Ford with a copy of the lyrics and music.
All I have to do now is find my copy of the music.
Or get another copy from Adrian.
8>)
I have yet to locate a recording of the complete verse.
Kind regards,
Bill.

"Stealin' Apples" [1936. Fats Waller - Andy Razaf]

I was always taught that it was wrong to be a thief.
He who took his neighbour’s good would surely come to grief.
There’s exceptions to the tune I guess,
 What I used to take brought happiness.

Apple time was always time for stealin’,
Just to be with you was so appealin’
Takin’ chances
Stealin’ apples with you.

We would wait and catch the farmer nappin’,
In his orchard anything could happen,
Takin’ chances,
Stealing apples with you

I could hardly wait until you would bite one,
For it meant a kiss if it was the right one.
What a joy dear, it would be,
If I could find myself once more back in wildwood,
Takin’ chances,
Stealin’ apples with you.