[Dixielandjazz] USA Copyright Law (Dixiejazzdata)

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Sat Jan 28 12:35:57 PST 2012

I recall reading that the primary reasons that the Sonny Bono act was
passed were:

1. Lobbying from the Gershwin heirs. Rhapsody in Blue was written in
1924, and has generated massive revenues. Because George had no
(known) children, I am not certain who the copyright holders are, but
apparently they have some influence.

2. Lobbying from the Disney organization. Mickey Mouse was copyrighted
in 1924, and Disney has rigorously protected their characters with
lawsuits for any infraction since.

You could research this further.

However, it should be noted that such geniuses as John Phillip Souza,
Victor Herbert, Jerome Kern, and Irving Berlin were the ASCAP
stalwarts who personaly approached Congress to enact the first
copyright law because they believed they deserved proper per-use
compensation for their creations. Stephen Foster died broke. Without
them, what popular music heritage would we have today?

Even though we now think of Old Man River as an ancient folk song, it
took George Gershwin to conceive it and write it down.

Little-known fact: Jelly Roll Morton's compositions still generate
about $60,000 a year to a distant relative of Anita Gonzalez living in
Vancouver, Washington.

A very strange world. But I think some reasonable compensation is due
to those who write the songs, for a reasonable period of time. It
depends on who has the best lobbyist.

Rick Campbell
Milneburg Social Aid and Pleasure Society Jazz Band
Portland, Oregon USA
503-701-7356
ricksax at comcast.net