[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong reviewed - London Guardian, December 16, 2011

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 20 22:24:02 PST 2012

Robert Ringwald kindly provided the following review:
> Louis Armstrong: The Armstrong Box (Storyville, 7 CDs + DVD)
> by John Fordham
> London Guardian, December 16, 2011

Dear Bob,
Sounds like a great set, so I checked its availability on Amazon:
   http://www.amazon.com/Armstrong-Box-Louis/dp/B005OPVHH6
The informative review by Martin Emiliano concludes with the following buyer-beware comment:

"All in all, two things:
1) Not an essential release, unless you are a hardcore Louis' fan (then, you'll want to listen to everything). But if you are a hardcore collector, then you'll also already have most of the music here. Meaning, not only most, but also the most important music here, for the unissued 1962 material has terrible sound quality, and the 1967 Copenhagen set is far from essential listening.

2) Storyville, a label dedicated to collectors, should respect their public more and issue rare or unissued material separately, and in a more rational way. And then reissue or repackage their old CDs as they like for the newcomers. The way they are doing it now is disrespectful."

I suggest that intending purchasers should read the whole review at the above link.
Very kind regards,
Bill.