[Dixielandjazz] Red beans and rice

david richoux domitype at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 11:08:18 PST 2012

My best RB&R story:

In 1980 several friends and I took the train from California to New
Orleans, mostly to eat good food and go to the (then recently
re-started) Jazz Fest. Allan Jaffe had invited us to stay in a
Preservation Hall "Back Room" but after we checked it out we decided
to find a hotel. We did get to attend an after hours party at the Hall
where Buster Holmes served his famous RB&R! He used house made sausage
and perfect slightly mushy red beans - probably the best I have ever
tasted!

Here is a link to Buster's recipe:
http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2010/12/post_56.html
While both versions there do not include sausage, it is OK to substitute.

Dave Richoux (who grew up on Gumbo, Rice & Beans, and other
Cajun/Creole cooking')