[Dixielandjazz] Pete Fountain

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 14:22:59 PST 2012

Hi,
Coral was, I believe, an MCA label, so I don't know.  And as i have
said, even if it is the same material, how is one to know?
Anyway, I tend to agree with you as regards Fountain; I, too, find a
lot of his stuff not worth listening to for the most part.  Still, I
have several Fountain records that are not too bad; one, with Eddie
Miller, Bob Havens and Merle Koch, is excellent.  The one least worth
hearing is a Verve record with Al Hirt.  My mother brought it for me
from the States in 1961, when I was in the army.  I was very impressed
with the blurb about the two bearded giants of Dixieland, but much
less so with the music.
Nevertheless, I'd like to know who is playing what on those cassettes,
which I have not yet had the chance to hear.  I am afraid that some
numbers are the "star" stuff, despite the overall title "Dixieland
Classics" (you have used a different expression, but youknow what I
mean).
I agree with regards to Wilber and the late Kenny Davern (the latter
stopped playing the soprano sax after the break up of Soprano Summit.
Thereafter it was only the clarinet).
I agree as to Allan Vache, too.  I have never heard of Hennie Hoehne,
but I could add several other clarinettists: Evan Christopher, Pieter
Meiyers, Alain Marquet (French), Reimer von Essen (German), George
Huxley (an Englishman who also plays soprano, or perhaps the other way
round). et al.
Cheers