[Dixielandjazz] non-jazz {WAS: RE: When Country Meets Dixie}

Don Kirkman donsno2 at charter.net
Mon Jan 16 23:17:51 PST 2012

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:01:22 -0500, you wrote:

>Dear Don
>
>I gathered that you "meant", that most cannot modify "unique" ala
>"Most unique rankles me."

Precisely.  I figured "Hear!  Hear! was clear enough, and  I certainly
understood what Jerry meant.

> But then, coupled with the second part of
>the sentence referencing it to jazz the complete sentence made
>absolutely no sense. However since your sentence was describing most
>unique as used in the original article, regarding "music"  naturally
>one would expect readers to misunderstand it. What you might have done
>to eliminate confusion as to meaning was say it like you did later,
>below. That would have been correct english usage.

I didn't couple it to anything; I simply wrote two words of support
for correct usage.  I almost think you must have been responding to
Jerry although you addressed your remarks to me.

>> "I meant simply that  . . . the expression "most unique" rankles me
>> in and of itself."
>
>After all if you are going to be pedantic fine, but then, do not
>commit the same misuse sins of the English language as us lesser folks.

I'm too old to think voting for correct usage is pedantry.  :-)