[Dixielandjazz] When Country Meets Dixie

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 16 07:54:41 PST 2012

CAVEAT: The following excerpt from a Press Release may rankle the
"trad purists". Especially the last sentence:
"It's the most unique thing that we may hear musically for a long time."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Oak Ridge Boys and Dukes of Dixieland have teamed up to record a new
project entitled When Country Meets Dixie, which will be released
February 28, 2012

The blended, dynamic composition of "big band New Orleans jazz meets
American barbershop gospel/country" is poised to inspire and entertain
generations young and old with its swinging energy and "rhythmatic"
performances featuring trumpet, trombone, clarinet and sax (baritone &
tenor).

"Initially, we wanted to have this little get-together to see if it
worked musically," explains James Stroud, former head for Giant and
Dreamworks Records, current CEO of R&J Records and producer of Tim
McGraw, Toby Keith and Chris Young among many others. "We wanted to
incorporate some of the sounds the Dukes brought from New Orleans and
combine it with what the Oak Ridge Boys bring with their history and
successes in gospel and country. The project wound up creating its own
sound, its own brand. WHEN COUNTRY MEETS DIXIE is the result of two
great American art forms colliding. It's the most unique thing that we
may hear musically for a long time."