[Dixielandjazz] Emmett Matthews

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 15 16:30:28 PST 2012

Emmett Matthews

> What numbers have you got in mind?  I have two - I Got Rhythm and The
> Girl I Left behind Me - and Matthews is not listed.  Nor is his
> playing with Waller mentioned in his All Music biography.

The All Music Biography is by one whom I was once congratulated for referring to as Crudbum,
who opined (e.g.) that George Chisholm stayed at home because of love of porridge.
Marek will no doubt share my fondness for LONDON PRIDE, a delectable pint, but London Porridge? And London is where the great Schism or Chisholm between dixieland and bop long resided.
Matthews plays the rideout on I GOT RHYTHM

> I may be mistaken about some fine detail on some items, I see a Savoy recording of 1944 listed, with Matthews listed as sideman on soprano as well as singer. Alas the one earlier Matthews recording on YouTube is vocal only,
>
> Rust lists an Emmet Matthews on trumpet with Wilson's TOBA band.
I missed that but was mostly interested in his soprano playing, which unlike Doc Cheatham's one recorded session on soprano is mercifully not sabotaged by an only nominally musical saw.

I said there is a terrific St. James Infirmary I downloaded from amazon but when Marek told me Delauney lists Matthews only as a singer on St. James Infirmary I played the track loud enough for him to hear. Could he please turn up the heating in Israel so I can feel some of it here in Scotland, now he and I both know about the soprano on that track on a CD of obscure Blues items.

I seem to recall seeing a reference to vocal only but sampling the track I found it was otherwise and used a free download amazon gave me as a bonus.

Robert