[Dixielandjazz] BG in Sweet and Low-Down

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jan 15 14:10:01 PST 2012

Robert Newman wrote [in part]:
> Benny Goodman was in a b&w movie called SWEET AND LOW-DOWN in 1944 and I have a copy of it on DVD...There's some fine trombone soloing on it but I don't know by whom.   Lou McGarrity perhaps?

Dear Bob,
Ah. "Sweet and Lowdown" - the filum.
Made in February 1944 and released in September that year.
It is one of my favourites that I recall from my youth.
But rarely shown on TV.
However, I now have the DVD.
And what about Jess Stacy and the Quartet's "The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise"?
That one never made it to LP or CD.
The actor James Caldwell's on-screen trombone solos were played by Bill Harris.
Very kind regards,
Bill.