[Dixielandjazz] Sex and Music

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 15 08:10:20 PST 2012

A few days ago, I postulated that if the band was not having fun at
swing dances, then they weren't doing it right, and drew an analogy to
sex. The sex part came about many years ago when a young colleague who
worked for me confided that his wife was not having a good time in
bed. I passed on some advice about technique etc., which essentially
said if she is not enjoying it, then you aren't doing it right. I
realize there may be other reasons so spare me the cards and letters
etc.... VBG.

The music part came about because of a study that took place at McGill
University in Toronto. The results were published a year ago. Here are
the basics of what it said:

MUSIC affects people in the same way that SEX does. Music that "moves"
you causes your brain to release dopamine which is a chemical involved
in both motivation and addiction. In fact, even the anticipation of a
musical passage with which you are familiar and like, can cause your
brain to release dopamine. Sex or the anticipation of sex causes the
same release of dopamine. . . .

"You're following these tunes and anticipating what's going to come
next and whether it's going to confirm or surprise you, and all of
these little cognitive nuances are what's giving you amazing pleasure.
The reinforcement or reward happens almost entirely because of
dopamine."  - Vaklorie Salimpoor, a neuroscientist at McGill
University's Montreal Neurological Institute.

All of the above explains why music is so significant in all human
societies, even though it has no obvious survival value.

Be that as it may, no wonder OKOM fans like to hear the same passages
over and over again. Like the Picou High Society clarinet obbligato.
They, and the clarinet players, are all sex addicts. VBG

And by the same token, listening to music you hate, causes the
unpleasant release of adrenaline which activates the amygdala, the
brain's fight or flight center. Are you listening Marek Boym and Bill
Haesler?

All sorts of possibilities here eh? But the central theme remains the
same. If you ain't enjoying it, you ain't  doin'  it right. VBG

BTW, in another study, it was shown that nicotine via a cigarette also
induces the release of dopamine but triggers the remembrance of things
past.  No wonder those of us who smoke, or used to smoke, enjoyed a
cigarette after music, or sex. VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband