[Dixielandjazz] Swing Dancers

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 13 14:04:16 PST 2012

> From: Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote
>
> Some angry tirade, Bart!
>
> But is it true?  I wonder.  I have seen young kids daning to The New
> OrleansFunction on the street and feeding the kitty, kids dancing at
> free venues and drinking alcohol (notto worry - most of them were over
> twenty), kids paying door charge to get in and dance.    And by the
> way, at least two  of the places where I've seen it are NOT in the
> alcohol  business, even if they have bars - one in the back, the other
> one - in a side room so as not to disturb the sitting public.  The
> second one also has the dancing in a side room, as it main room is
> occupied by rows of chairs.  And even the same kids paying for seats
> to hear their favourite bands (Swing de Gitanes, The New Orleans
> Function) at non-dancing venues.
> So not all is as bleak as you paint it, at least - not here in Israel.

Dear Marek:

OMG, I am agreeing with you. There are many bands here in the USA that
adore playing for swing dancers, mine included. Others are the
Boilermakers, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy et al.

Regarding someone saying that they only dance to the rhythm, even if
that were true (and it isn't in our experience), fully one-half of a
Dixieland or small swing band is the rhythm section. They love being a
focal point just as much as the horns do. So what could be wrong with
dancing to the rhythm?

Plus, we find that the dancers know the songs. When we come to a
break, they dance directly to the break, anticipate it, and then swing
out.

Personally I find their energy incredible, it feeds back to the band,
and we end up watching their feet as much as they end up LISTENING to
the horns as well s the rhythm.

Kind of like sex. If you aren't enjoying it, you aren't doing it right.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband