[Dixielandjazz] Walter Donaldson, Gus Kahn tribute reviewed - + Nighthawks - NY Times

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Fri Jan 13 08:55:24 PST 2012

On 1/12/2012 6:27 PM, Robert Ringwald wrote:
> Jaunty Songs That Reveal a Bleaker Reality

A great read about a songwriter who was clearly the musical emblem of
White Jazz Age music, Walter Donaldson.
In my band we played a lot of Donaldson songs - they lead to a perfect
fit for a 20's-40's play list, and I wrote
many charts of some of his tunes that are less familiar than most the
public would know. For instance, his
"Clouds" is an example, as is the Bix/Whiteman classic "Changes", seldom
played by most bands. Our book had over
30 Donalson charts (plus many head arrangements of others,) mostly "vest
pocket" charts easy for a sub to sight-read and lots of room for solo
freedom.
As a member of the Sons of Bix, I played many other Donaldson songs -
even several recorded. The Bix/Donaldson connect was a good one.
With over a 1,000 songs to choose from we would have had many more
Donaldson charts added except for some of us reaching time to hang up
the horns, (or that death is nature's way to tell you to slow down!)
For my band, after 22 years of togetherness (and over my 60+ years of
mashing my mouth on a brass  mouthpiece) having old Walt in the book was
musically fun.
Among some of the oft-orgotten ones that is still a favorite for this
ancient person is "My Big Moment." For a nice listen find the Sinatra
cut on it and enjoy.
By having Vince and the gang provide the music in the show just
reviewed, the producers made a wise choice, as Vince knows his Donaldson
music - almost as much as this fellow.
It would be a joy to be there to see this show if for no other reason
than to hear the Nighthawks play Donaldson and Kahn.

Don Ingle