[Dixielandjazz] Catherine Russell reviewed

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Jan 12 15:42:59 PST 2012

Catherine Russell: Strictly Romancin' (World Village 468101, 49:11, distr. by Harmonia
Mundi, 2/14/2012)
(Catherine Russell, vocals, arranger; Matt Munisteri, guitar, banjo, vocals; Mark
Shane, piano; Lee Hudson, bass; Mark McLean, drums; Andy Farber, tenor saxophone,
arranger; Jon-Erik Kellso, trumpet, horn arrangement; Dan Block, alto saxophone,
clarinet; John Allred, trombone; Joe Barbato, accordion; Aaron Weinstein, violin;
Carline Ray, vocals)
by Robbie Gerson
Audiophile Audition, January 3, 2012
The history of jazz has a strong connection to instrumentalists. But there have been
many vocalists who brought this spontaneous genre to a wider audience. Ella Fitzgerald,
Billie Holiday, Billy Eckstine, Peggy Lee and Sarah Vaughan introduced the voice
as a separate musical entity. Storytelling personalized the various narratives of
this idiom.
It seemed natural that Catherine Russell would embrace jazz vocals. Her father Luis
Russell was a pioneering pianist-bandleader and longtime musical director for Louis
Armstrong. Her mother Carline Ray is a highly-regarded bassist and vocalist. Prior
to recording, Russell enjoyed success as a backup vocalist, working with Carrie Smith,
Steely Dan, David Bowie, Cyndi Lauper, Paul Simon, Jackson Browne, Michael Feinstein
and Rosanne Cash. Her true talents would emerge as a solo artist. Her debut album
"Cats" introduced a gifted singer with an acute ear for interpreting standards and
lesser known gems. Her ability to deliver subtlety in a variety of hybrid jazz formats
is impressive. Subsequent releases, "Sentimental Streak" and "Inside This Heart of
Mine," created an international buzz.
"Strictly Romancin'," her fourth release, is a delightful mixed bag of jazz and blues
numbers. With the help of musical director-guitarist-banjoist-arranger Matt Munisteri,
Russell breathes new life into some classic and rare compositions. Backed by a quartet
(Munisteri, Mark Shane/piano, Lee Hudson/bass and Mark McLean/drums), the music is
expanded to include additional instrumental accompaniment. The opening track, "Under
the Spell of the Blues" (from the Chick Webb/Ella Fitzgerald repertoire) is a low-key,
rhythmic take on melancholy. A textured horn chorus adds some big band elan to the
piece. Russell invokes more organic blues on "Don't Leave Me" (first performed by
the legendary Ivory Joe Hunter). Her singing is soulful and Shane delivers a nimble
solo on piano.
Paying homage to swing, Russell and guest trombonist John Allred exchange playfully
on the Ellington/Strayhorn jaunt, "I'm Checkin' Out -- Goom'bye." With a relaxed
touch, Hoagy Carmichael's "Ev'ntide" showcases solos by Allred, Andy Farber (tenor
saxophone), Dan Block (clarinet) and Jon-Erik Kellso (trumpet). The selection of
material is refreshing in its eclecticism. "Everybody Loves My Baby" and "Whatcha
Gonna Do When There Ain't No Swing?" have a "juke joint" up-tempo feel, while "Everything's
Been Done Before" is gypsy-tinged with tasteful accordion runs (Joe Barbato) and
violin (Aaron Weinstein)/acoustic guitar (Munisteri) accents.
Russell's clear emotive voice anchors the different arrangements. Her timing and
pristine voice are impeccable. Cafe elegance inhabits the classic "I'm in the Mood
for Love." Her range and depth is fierce on Sister Rosetta Tharpe's gospel opus "He's
All I Need." Sung in duet with her eighty-six-year-old mother, the spiritual ambiance
is exultant.
Catherine Russell has continued the tradition of inspired jazz singing with "Strictly
Romancin'."
__________
Track List: Under the Spell of the Blues; I'm in the Mood for Love; Wake Up and Live;
Ev'ntide; Romance in the Dark; I'm Checkin' Out -- Goom'bye; No More; Satchel Mouth
Baby; Everything's Been Done Before; Don't Leave Me; I Haven't Changed a Thing; Everybody
Loves My Baby; He's All I Need; Whatcha Gonna Do When There Ain't No Swing?

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

Wireless Internet is like Sex.
You still want it,
even if it's unprotected and in a public place.