[Dixielandjazz] Out of the box - Trad purists delete now

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Thu Jan 12 14:52:59 PST 2012

If the 'Over the Rainbow' that is on the charts there is the same that
is on the radio here in France, I say bravo. This nice arrangement of an
ol' standard was recorded by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole. Unfortunately,
Israel died in 1997 and never knew of his success off of the Hawaiian
islands.

There is surely a way to weave this version of Harold Arlen's classic
into one of the reoccurring themes about dragging the young into old
time jazz, but I had a long day and will sit this one out.

IMHO, this is a fine arrangement of the tune and I am glad (and,
surprised) that it is getting all the airplay that it is.

All the best, Gary

On 12/01/2012 16:17, Pat Ladd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the ukulele is the `in thing` with kids at the moment in the UK.
> Apparently there is a sort of Hawaiian arrangement of Over the Rainbow
> which is in the charts. Consequently over Christmas 3 ukes appeared as
> presents.
> Unfortunately in spite of my urging to strum something with three
> chords, Worried Man Blues, Wabash Cannonball, Grand Coulee Dam or
> similar they all want to pick and play this Over the Rainbow
> arrangement. Of course they have no hope in the amount of time they
> are willing to spend practicing whereas if they stuck to 3 chords they
> could actually play something and get some satisfaction from it.
>
> Bl****y kids
>
> Pat

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson