[Dixielandjazz] Mixing "listeners" and "dancers"

PHIL WILKING philwilking at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 10 11:51:33 PST 2012

In the 1980's and before, The Louisiana Repertory Jazz Ensemble of New Orleans played every Wednesday night in a tough neighborhood in the most termite riddled old "joint" you could imagine.

They filled the place with college students who danced to all the tunes, and not just foxtrots, but waltz, schottishe, and more.

Those who wished to merely listen to the music did so at the tables and a good time was had by all.

By the way, as I remember it, the band played without amplifiers and yet everyone could hear everything because no one was screaming.

Phil Wilking, K5MZF

www.nolabanjo.com

Those who would exchange freedom
for security deserve neither