[Dixielandjazz] Bixing

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 08:37:15 PST 2012

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the partial personnel. I had assumed JC Johnson was the pianist,
unless the splendidly-named Mabel Horsey was a pseudonym. I've never seen
that name in print before and it is a name that could be hard to forget. I
thought the alto sounded similar stylistically to the clarinet-playing and
assumed it was the same player doubling. I don't hear the alto at all on
Crying for You and, while there's an alto solo on Red Hot Hottentot, the
clarinet is silent immediately before, during and immediately after the alro
solo. There was only one very brief ensemble passage on Hottentot which
sounded as though both could be playing at the same time. I'll need to
listen again to hear if they're both present elsewhere in ensembles.

It was the clarinettist who caught my ear: I thought there was a strong
similarity to Omer Simeon in both sound and phrasing, yet it didn't quite
sound like him. Simeon of course played a lot with Jabbo in that era. The
style is New Orleans Creole, but it didn't sound like any of the other
widely recorded N.O. Creole clarinettists of that era. Unless of course it
was Tio himself. So my candidates would be Simeon or Tio. An outsider might
be Russell Procope. I was once told by Harold Dejan that Procope had studied
with Tio in NYC but Dejan gave no indication of timescale. Certainly Procope
had N.O. influences, but, if this is him, he sounds more like the Tio school
players than he ever did again in his recording career. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson