[Dixielandjazz] Bixing

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 15:16:19 PST 2012

Very interesting.
Perhaps I came to jazz too late (but I am older than Ken, I beleive), but
by the time Ifirst learned about Bix,things were somewhat different.  I
still believed that he was buried in those big bands, which drove him to
drink, a myth dispelled only by Evans and Sudhalter.  But. at least, I knew
it was Dick Voynov who led th Wolverines.  And, having heard Trumbauer, I
realized he was at least nearly equal to Bix.

there is one thing there, though, that doesn't make sense: the half-valve
business.  The author stated that every horn student learned it; howeve, he
seems to have forgotten that Bix cam a few years before our time.  As to
the "muted" sound - I am not sure it could not have been achieved by
unorthodox valve techniqe, as claimed by the jazz writers,
Cheers