[Dixielandjazz] FW: showmanship

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Jan 4 17:10:33 PST 2012

Israel, answered by Australia, answered by Placerville CA.

>> Marek wrote:
>>>was put off by Trummy Young's operating his slide with his foot.  After
>> that, I wouldn't listen to Young for years, as I considered him a showman
>> rather than a musician.

Jack Mitchell answers:

> George Brunis used to do the same thing, and I believe he once did an act
> for Ripley playing his horn whilst somebody stood on his chest. I can't
> think of anything George  would do (on stage anyway) that would stop me
> listening to his records.
>
> Others have done the foot in slide act (Bob Havens??) and I think it's all
> good fun.

Bob Ringwald answeres:

Lying on his back, playing Tiger Rag on the trombone with his foot operating the slide is how Bob Havens got the gig on the Lawrence Welk Show.  That gave him a 22 year steady gig, lots of money, lots of international exposure, lots of retirement.  Havens is one of the great ones and wasn't opposed to a little showmenship.

--Bob (Now where the hell did they put that damn piano?) Ringwald