[Dixielandjazz] What do musicians get from the union?

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jan 2 20:21:00 PST 2012

Symphony orchestra members do benefit by the Union but lets be fair.  The
Union would be helpless if you took away the huge subsidies that the
orchestras get from government and business.  Without that the symphonies
would simply not exist.

Personally I like the status of independent contractor because it is a huge
advantage when tax time rolls around.  I can deduct things that an employee
can't.

Unfortunately the musicians union has no power to enforce their edicts with
anyone other than their own members, with some exceptions.  The only time I
really needed them they sold us out.

I wish we had a strong organization and the support of other unions that
could shut down a venue but we don't.
Larry
StL