[Dixielandjazz] FW: FW: But is it Jazz?

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Tue Feb 28 16:21:32 PST 2012

>From Jim and then my response:

In a message dated 2/27/2012 3:12:10 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jim at kashprod.com writes:

In a  previous post I mentioned "free jazz".  I dabbled a bit in that  field
in the 1970's while playing with Pedro Itturalde, whom I have spoken  of
before on DJML.  I quite enjoyed the experience, but must admit the  real
joy
was when the band all came together again after the "free"  bit.  That was
the exciting moment....when what seemed like chaos  became rythmically &
melodically joined.  That would happen almost  magically with all members (5
piece band) of the same mind & without  speaking or visually communicating
would make it happen.  We were  working 4 sets a nite, 7 nites a week at the
time.
What Jim says about "the real joy" brought to mind a technique taught in at
 least some music therapy courses.  It's used to encourage a transformative
 response to certain symptoms, a chronic illness, etc.
It can be done in a private session but is often used in a group  setting.
The therapist has a melodic, percussive instrument such as piano,  guitar.
The group members all have percussive instruments though some may  be
capable of pentatonic scale notes.  It begins with the group sitting in  a circle
around the client, interviewing the client about his/her current
experience of the pain or illness.  When that is complete the whole group  uses their
instrument to express their perception of what the client has  described.
It is of course, chaotic and without organized rhythm at this  point.  This
continues and builds in volume.  Using intuition, the  therapist chooses the
moment, to bring the group into rhythm  and harmonic consonance rather than
dissonance.  I have had  the experience of being part of some magic,
enlightening moments in using  this.

This technique is called Music Entrainment Therapy,  Yes, if you  wish to
do a search, "entrainment" is the correct spelling.  Good music  therapy
always also follows a principle known as the iso-principle.   Good band leaders
abide by the iso-principle also.
Ginny