[Dixielandjazz] Unlikely Bed Fellows?

Rob McCallum solarjazz at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 28 15:24:27 PST 2012

Very cool!  Kid Rock is one of Detroit's biggest boosters, and I have a lot of respect for him. He wasn't one of those guys who made a beeline for somewhere else once he made it big. That he is working with the Detroit Symphony doesn't surprise me, and hopefully it will raise enough money to help right the ship.

The article mentions the strike, but that wasn't what initially caused the financial problem. The DSO was really doing well for a while and branched out and overextended themselves...they built the Max Fisher Center (a large performing arts complex next to Orchestra Hall). When the economic downturn hit (and ticket sales slowed down and companies like GM were no longer able to donate), that's when the money got tight because of the huge debt the symphony had taken on. That's when they wanted to slash musicians' salaries, which led to the strike (and led to some players leaving for a more stable environment--including the entire percussion section as well as our concert master Emmanuelle Boisvert). A bad situation all around. The Detroit Science Center overextended itself when things were good too and is now closed.

But, things have been changing for the better over the past year or so.

All the best,
Rob McCallum