[Dixielandjazz] Jelly Roll Morton, was NO Wanderers

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 15:01:50 PST 2012

Hi Bill and Anton,

One-eagle-eyed Bill does it again and his ear is pretty good too! I'm guilty as charged of the ultimate discographical sin of mixing up take numbers and glad I didn't quote matrix numbers! I can just about hear Mike Meddings tutting if he read my post.

Bill wrote:
>snip
Apart from Ken switching the takes around (the fast version was the first attempt, the slower one was the second and the issued rarer Victor version in May 1927) neither of you have commented on St Cyr's guitar solo.
<snip

You're quite right too, Bill, about St Cyr goofing on Take 2 (slow version). I'm guessing that Take 2 was initially preferred because it has fewer obvious goofs and a lovely laid-back feel. Maybe they thought that most people would be listening to Jelly's improvised solo behind St Cyr's written solo line and the goof might not be noticed, but I'll bet St Cyr winced every time he heard it. Nowadays that would be fixed in a few minutes.

Regards,

Ken Mathieson