[Dixielandjazz] FW: FW: But is it Jazz?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Feb 27 01:09:25 PST 2012

In a previous post I mentioned "free jazz".  I dabbled a bit in that field
in the 1970's while playing with Pedro Itturalde, whom I have spoken of
before on DJML.  I quite enjoyed the experience, but must admit the real joy
was when the band all came together again after the "free" bit.  That was
the exciting moment....when what seemed like chaos became rythmically &
melodically joined.  That would happen almost magically with all members (5
piece band) of the same mind & without speaking or visually communicating
would make it happen.  We were working 4 sets a nite, 7 nites a week at the
time.

I also, in 1992, worked, as sound engineer, on a series of 22 CD's of
Contemporary Music.  That was an experience similar to working with Free
Jazz.  Again, I always enjoyed the moment (few & far between!) when melody &
rhythm became one.  Sometimes it was only a few bars, but I felt again at
home each time.

Both types of music have (or had) a limited audience and don't seem to ever
reach the general public.  OKOM reaches many more....bringing up again the
argument for Melody & Rhythm which is always accepted by the masses.

Jim