[Dixielandjazz] But is it Jazz?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 26 08:31:38 PST 2012

Excerpt from a NY Times article about musician Robert Glasper

There’s plenty of improvising in these shows, by Mr. Glasper, on
Fender Rhodes and acoustic piano, and by each of his dangerously
proficient band mates: Casey Benjamin on saxophone, keyboards and
vocoder; Derrick Hodge on electric bass; and Chris Dave on drums. And
yet it’s worth posing the question at the top of this post, especially
in light of an album with clear crossover designs. So: is it jazz?

Mr. Glasper would answer that question a few different ways. “My whole
thing is just getting a new audience to the music,” he said during the
first part of our recent interview, in his Brooklyn apartment. “My
purpose is not to get everybody to like Charlie Parker. Because the
realistic thing is, everybody’s not going to. Everybody’s not going to
like jazz, let’s just be honest about it. Everybody doesn’t like
everything. There’s a disconnect in generations and some people just
aren’t going to feel that music. But there is a modern take on certain
things you can do that, to me, is still jazz.”

What are they talking about? Jazz? To get a feel for their music go to
the below link. Note especially some of the comments below the You
Tube before you condemn it.<grin> They do have an audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKlcyeWmSTc

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband