[Dixielandjazz] Roy Cohn (was "Ethel...")

John McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 25 22:42:26 PST 2012

..... and when we played trio gigs at his Manhattan apartment, or on the Hudson River, he always tipped the band $100 per man. Once when he came by to thank us during the gig, he said, "Did I tip you guys yet?"  Before we could answer, he whipped out another $300 and said, "Never mind, here you go."  Maybe he was more than a little tipsy that night. (So was Frank Gifford, as I recall.)  But Roy appreciated the music and appreciated the artistry of the musicians. Just ask John Gill, he was a newly minted banjo player then.  Just ask Scott Black. That's where we met, on the Hudson, even though we grew up a few miles apart.
Cheers,
John

On Feb 25, 2012, at 10:06 PM, Stephen G Barbone wrote:

> "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com> wrote (polite snip)
>

> Review: 'Ethel!'
> by Howard Shapiro
> Philadelphia Inquirer, February 24, 2012
> Once you're gone, so are your rights to the way you're portrayed. The sleazy Roy
> Cohn isn't around to contest the character Tony Kushner assigns him in "Angels in
> America" (or my one-word characterization) . . .

Dear Bob:

Roy Cohn was my Criminal Law Professor, and a good one. He wasn't all bad. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband