[Dixielandjazz] Red Hoilloway RIP

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sat Feb 25 17:23:57 PST 2012

Hi All,

I'm very saddened to hear of Red's passing: he was a superb player and lovely company. I had the double good fortune to be in the rhythm section behind Red and Sonny Stitt for a gig in Glasgow during their UK tour in July 1981. What a thankless task being Sonny's sparring partner! Red said it was like going to school every night and his respect for Sonny was enormous, but his own playing was interesting and delightful throughout. He and Johnny Griffin had studied together as youngsters in Chicago so, given the way they both turned out, their teacher must have been a bit of a star too!

RIP Red

Ken Mathieson