[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong Mouthpiece Grooves

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 25 13:01:52 PST 2012

Perhaps the answer about Armstrong's mouthpiece grooves is found in
David Hickman's book " Trumpet Pedagogy. See the below site, a recent
review of the book: (dated Jan 20, 2012)

http://talkingtrumpet.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/book-review-trumpet-pedagogy-by-david-hickman/

Scroll down to see a picture of the rim of an Armstrong mouthpiece
with many grooves and this description:

"My favorite picture is this one of Louis Armstrong’s mouthpiece rim.
It’s got grooves carved into it. The grooves grip his chops so that
when he gave the horn a slight twist, he was able to play higher.
This, btw, is not a recommended way to increase your range. Louis used
to play 77 high Cs in a row at the end of a tune (I think it might
have been St. Louis Blues, but am not sure). At a show England when he
did this, he split his lip so badly that the front of his shirt was
drenched in blood and he had to stop playing for a long period. It’s
not clear whether he was using this twisting technique, but I’m
guessing he was."

The book itself might be of interest to the trumpeters on the list.

Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband