[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong at Newport Jazz Festival 1958

Bob Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Sat Feb 25 06:09:23 PST 2012

The YouTube of Louis Armstrong at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival raises a
question in my mind. At the end the All Stars play "The Saints".
The soundtrack puts the tune in the key of G (trumpet key A). Is there any
original key for this tune (I've always played it in the key of F), but I do
have a melody sheet pitched in C? I tried to follow Louis' fingering to see
if they matched the soundtrack, but the camera angles and Louis' dexterity
were too much for me.

Cheers

Bob Smith