[Dixielandjazz] Smoking laws

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Feb 24 01:14:28 PST 2012

>Do the Spaniards really follow the "no smoking" rule?

Yes, they do!  I was frankly astonished.  Laws in Spain are mainly looked
upon as something to try to get around.  It's been 13 months now since the
law went into effect, and it has worked since day one. Anyone was able to
call a telephone number and make a report if the law was abused.  There were
accusations of "Big Brother" laws, etc., but it worked!!  Apparently, many
have ended up quitting. Unfortunately, young people are starting up with the
same number as before the law.

Loss of revenue from smokers missing work & a strain on our extremely good
welfare services was a big reason to push the law through in the first
place.

We immediately starting seeing people we had never seen on our regular gigs,
and many said they hadn't come before due to heavy smoke in the clubs.
Smokers go out during our break, have a smoke, and come back in...having
told the waiter they would be back to finish their drink, so we haven't lost
them, either.

Having said that, there does seem to be a drop in attendance in indoor
venues during the warmer months, when smokers drag (pun intended!) their
non-smoking friends out to the many outdoor "terrazas", areas placed outside
of restaurants/bars for outdoor dining & boozing.

I never imagined it would make such a difference to us...the workers in
clubs!  I used to have to hang my coat & pants (anything I might want to
wear again) outdoors after a gig.  After a shower & hairwash, smoke was
still present on my body & in my hair before.  Now I smell like a new born
babe.  Well...almost!   :>  And, the next morning, I feel much better.  I'm
not a smoker myself.
A cigar smoker sitting directly in front of a band was a disaster in the old
days!

Jim