[Dixielandjazz] The PBone

John McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 23 19:03:47 PST 2012

Dave,
Thanks for the information and your perspective. Your premise sounds reasonable, it may get the kids to practice more. I guess I should get off my fat butt and go try a Pbone at a store.

I used a similar scheme for the past dozen or so years to promote home practice. I had the school buy Yamaha YSL-354 student bones and had them colorized (dark blue tint in the lacquer). After two diligent years in the program, students received a blue horn to use in school and kept theirs at home for practice. The carrot was the color and also not having to schlep a horn to school every day. It worked so well for recruiting trombones that we did the same with euphoniums. Tubas would have been next, but I retired.
 Cheers,
John