[Dixielandjazz] "Big Band Vocalists: My Music" (press release)

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Feb 22 14:50:00 PST 2012

"Big Band Vocalists: My Music" Premieres March 3 on PBS
New special provides a rare glimpse of Doris Day, Peggy Lee and the greatest singers
of the 1940s at the dawn of their careers
PITTSBURGH, Feb. 21, 2012 -- TJL Productions announced today that "Big Band Vocalists,"
the latest installment of the popular "My Music" series, will premiere on PBS stations
nationwide March 3, 2012. Hosted by Nick Clooney (whose sister, Rosemary Clooney,
is among those featured on the show) and Peter Marshall, "Big Band Vocalists" showcases
the timeless "crooners and canaries" of the 1940s when they started their careers
performing with orchestras and dance bands, before they became stars on their own.
Featuring rare archival film footage not seen in years, this nostalgic look back
offers romantic favorites from an all-star roster of legendary artists including
the Andrews Sisters, Louis Armstrong, Perry Como, Doris Day, Helen Forrest, Dick
Haymes, Peggy Lee, Dinah Shore, Kate Smith, Jo Stafford and the Pied Pipers and many
more. Among the classic World War II era bands backing up these iconic voices are
groups led by Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Harry James
and Stan Kenton.
"This music has never gone away and these singers are the reason why," says co-host
Nick Clooney. "They are the finest popular vocalists we've ever known."
Highlights include Doris Day singing "It's Magic" in her film debut, "Romance on
the High Seas," which received an Oscar nomination for best original song; the earliest
known footage of Peggy Lee with a big band, singing "Why Don't You Do Right"; and
a rousing rendition of "God Bless America" delivered by Kate Smith.
As a companion to the television special, "My Music" executive producer TJ Lubinsky
has also compiled a new CD collection of big band favorites exclusively for PBS.
The 5-CD set, available exclusively at PBS.org, offers three volumes of the most
popular singers from the era -- original classics mastered from first generation
tapes -- plus two discs featuring new stereo orchestra recordings of timeless big
band hits.
"Big Band Vocalists: My Music" premieres March 3, 2012 at 8:00 p.m. on PBS nationwide
and airs throughout the March pledge period. Check local listings for stations and
times.

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"There are three things I like about being on an Italian cruise ship
First their cuisine is unsurpassed.
Second their service is superb.
And then, in time of emergency, there is none of this nonsense about women and children first."
--Winston Churchill.