[Dixielandjazz] An opposing view -- Trumpeter says orchestras are wrong to kowtow to youth

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 21 01:05:18 PST 2012

I don't agree with the visions of this trumpeter.
For one thing he thinks that he's playing the best music that is ever written. That is pretty arrogant and wrong.
Wrong, why..... ? Well art only is art on the right place time and right time. Even Berlioz was shocked when he suddenly realised that there is no universal high art.And Berlioz is right about that. Rembrand's greatest painting means nothing in the Brazil rain forest or on the moon.
He keeps on the safe side by stating that in his opinion it is the best music ever written, well it is definitly not the best music ever played, and esp. classical trumpet was pretty restricted before a certain Louis Armstrong showed the world what really could be done with a trumpet. Afterwards his solo's are trancribed, so in the end they are also are written down. As his been done more often than we usually realise in Jazz, btw. One proof is Armstrong's sketch book from Joe Oliver pieces that he showed to Don Redman while they worked in Fletcher Henderson's band. That's why Henderson could make his own favourite record of Sugar Foot Stomp.In classical music there is a similar situation, Paganini first played his great violin solo's, afterwards they were written down.....
Music, or any art form, without an audience is dead art........
Classical music definitly needs to get rid of it's boring image. I can be lots of fun as well, but show the audience that it is great.
Kind regards,
Bert BrandsmaInialoane 289263 RD Garijp The Netherlands++31 653 463730

BTW, I played with symphony orchestra's more then 250 times in my career now. (Just finished a 27 performance row in the Cologne Opera House) I have seen the "we deliver the greatest art" attidude often enough, but the guys who think that are not open minded at all. Pretty restricted people who really have no idea what is going on in circles where they don't happen to be employed.